- You must be 18 years old, have a valid drivers license, and be physically fit.
- You will be required to pass an aptitude test, and then appear before an interviewing committee.
- Upon acceptance you will be required to pass a DOT physical and Drug Screening test.
- You will be required to obtain an interstate commercial drivers license.
(Minimum Class B with air brake endorsement and “M” endorsement for State of New York.)
- You must learn to climb proficiently. You will be required to furnish your own climbing tools.
- You must be willing to work away from home anywhere within your local union jurisdiction, and occasionally beyond.
- You should like the out-doors.
- You must be able to function as part of a highly skilled team, dependent on each other for safety and achievement.
- You should like working with your head and your hands; the work is hazardous and strenuous.
- You should have the right attitude in order to complete your training program.
(Once in this work for a year, virtually all apprentices say they are enthusiastic about the work and would not do any other kind of work.)
- Obtain Internet access.